With the long awaited return of spot prawn season upon us, we wanted to share our friend Chef Ned Bell’s delicious recipe. This Chilled Spot Prawn Salad is refreshing, healthy, and features our very own sustainable Skipper Otto spot prawns!
- 16-24 Skipper Otto spot prawns (4-6 per person)
- 2.5 pints of heirloom tomatoes
- 2 heads of butter lettuce
- 3-4 tbsp goat cheese or ricotta (optional)
- 2 tbsp + 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
For the Spot Prawns:
- Poach the live spot prawns, taking extra care not to overcook (if you’re worried about keeping them alive before you cook them, you can always de-head the live prawns as soon as you bring them home, and just poach the tails)
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to a simmer, add the spot prawns, count 15 seconds, and remove immediately, placing prawns in a bowl of ice water.
- Once chilled, peel the prawns and remove the head (if they were live). You can also leave the shell and head on, depending on your guests’ preference.
For the Heirloom Tomato Vinaigrette:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss two pints of heirloom tomatoes in 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of sea salt.
- On a lined baking tray, roast the heirloom tomatoes in the oven for 20 minutes.
- In a food processor, puree the roasted tomatoes with 1 cup of olive oil, ½ cup red wine vinegar, and 1 tbsp Dijon mustard.
- Chop the remaining tomatoes in half and set aside.
Start by building the lettuce onto a platter. Add chopped heirloom tomatoes and the chilled spot prawns. Spoon on the dressing and, if you want, add 3-4 tbsp of crumbled goat cheese or ricotta. Season with salt to taste. Enjoy!
For all our Vancouver members, don’t forget to pick up your live spot prawns at Fisherman’s Wharf on May 16, 23 and 30! If you are not a Vancouver-area member please check your inbox for order reminders for our flash-frozen spot prawn tails, which are being fished right now by your prawners, Scott Lincez and Mike Roh! These tails will be available in a few weeks. Want to get in on the spot prawn deliciousness and avoid long lineups? Become a Skipper Otto member today to order your spot prawns!
Sonia - May 15, 2019
Chilled Spot Prawn Salad
Sonia - May 15, 2019