About Skipper Otto Community Supported Fishery
Skipper Otto Community Supported Fishery is an innovative solution for home cooks to source premium, wild seafood directly from independent, Canadian fishing families. Skipper Otto is on a mission to keep small-scale fishing alive in Canada, protect our valuable ocean resources, and ensure everyone has access to traceable, sustainably-caught, west coast seafood. Founded in 2008, Skipper Otto was the first Community Supported Fishery in Canada, and one of the first world-wide.
Skipper Otto is a great place to work! We have a strong, supportive team with a growth mind-set and a culture of positivity, creative problem solving, collaboration, and fun. We value people, communities, and environmental and social justice.
The Distribution Team Driver is an integral part of Skipper Otto. Working in conjunction with the Distribution Manager, the Distribution Team Driver will be responsible for the handling and distribution of seafood while also fostering and supporting key relationships within our community-supported distribution model. The ideal candidate is inclined and eligible to work primarily as a driver. However, shifts can be combined with Distribution Team Member roles (see Distribution Team Member job posting) such as packing orders and customer service.
The Distribution Team Driver will:
- Be a responsible driver, using the company’s Ford Transit van to travel between our 27+ community partner locations within Metro Vancouver while always conducting business with our partners in a friendly and courteous manner.
- Be tasked with moving large (and small) quantities of seafood between our processing and cold storage facilities (in fish totes and on pallets) using the company’s 3-ton cube truck and other equipment, as trained by the management team.
- Maintain accurate receiving paperwork to support inventory management.
- Ensure frozen and live seafood is kept at appropriate temperatures at all stages of distribution.
- Current BC drivers’ licence with a clean driver’s abstract. Experience driving trucks, vans, and/or forklifts is an asset.
- Physically capable of lifting and moving 30lb boxes
- Familiarity with and interest in sustainable food systems, and/or fishing
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Self-motivated; able to see opportunities and act on them independently
- Enthusiastic, resourceful, positive, and personable
- The position offers a starting wage of $25.70 per hour.
- Discounted seafood and an initial $100 seafood share credit.
- Health and Dental benefits are available for employees who work an average of 3 days a week on a year round basis.
- Shifts and hiring can occur year-round. Busy season runs from April to mid-December.
- Part-time positions can range from 1 to 4 days per week, depending on interest and availability for work. We would like to work out a schedule that works for us both!
- Hours will generally occur Mon-Fri from 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm
- The position works out of False Creek Fishermen’s Wharf at 1505 West 1st Ave, Vancouver
How to Apply
- Please express your interest in the role by e-mail to [email protected] and let us know why you would be a fit. You may apply by sending a cover letter and resume, a video, an email with info or whatever you consider helpful for us to get to know you.
- Clearly refer to the position title in the subject line of the email.
- Please indicate your level of driving experience and which types of vehicle(s) that includes.
- Successful candidates will be contacted by email. While we thank everyone for their application, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.