About Skipper Otto Community Supported Fishery
Skipper Otto Community Supported Fishery is a sustainable seafood subscription program that provides premium quality, totally traceable, sustainable seafood directly from BC fishing families to seafood-loving home-cooks across Canada. We’re transforming the way seafood is produced, consumed, and valued. Founded in 2008, Skipper Otto was the first Community Supported Fishery in Canada, and one of the first world-wide.
Skipper Otto is a great place to work and our rapid growth makes now a fantastic time to join us! We have a strong, supportive team with a growth mind-set and a culture of positivity, creative problem solving, collaboration, and fun. We value people, communities, and environmental and social justice.
The Distribution Team Driver is an important part of Skipper Otto. The role works in close conjunction with the Distribution Manager and will be responsible for much of the logistics of moving seafood during the busy May-Dec season.
The Distribution Team Driver will:
- Drive Skipper Otto trucks around the lower Mainland in a safe manner while making deliveries or stops at processors, cold storage facilities and customer deliveries.
- Participate in packing activities for orders at False Creek Fishermen’s Wharf.
- Be responsible for moving large (and small) quantities of seafood in fish totes and on pallets using company vehicles, fork lifts, pallet jacks, and other equipment as trained by the management team.
- Distribute seafood at member pick-ups and communicate the full boat-to-fork story of the seafood in a friendly, approachable manner.
- Ensure inventory is kept at appropriate temperatures at all stages of distribution.
- Maintain clear communication with the management team about all aspects of the role from daily packing to driving to pick-ups
- Represent the company in a responsible and friendly way in all interactions with members, suppliers and community partners.
- Current BC drivers’ licence with a clean driver’s abstract and with experience with driving trucks and vans
- Physically capable of lifting and moving 50lb boxes
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Self-motivated; able to see opportunities and act on them independently
- Enthusiastic, fun, positive, and personable
- Creative, flexible, and reliable
- Team player
Additional Skills – nice to have, but not required
- Class 3 license and/or experience driving vehicle with air brakes
- Familiarity with and interest in sustainable food systems, and/or fishing
- Customer service skills
- Forklift driving experience helpful but not required
The position is a contract position starting as soon as possible until Dec 10 2021. The wage is pro-rated to an annual salary of $46,000/year. The position also receives two weeks paid vacation and an additional paid week at the end of December. Health and dental benefits are available after 3 months of employment (or immediately for a current employee who has worked for longer than 3 months).
- We would like the successful candidate to start as soon as possible and work through to December 10 2021.
- 40 hours/week with shift schedule to be determined and likely varying slightly each week. Primarily weekdays 9a-5p with possibility of occasional evening or Saturday shifts
How to Apply
- Please e-mail a cover letter and resume detailing your experiences, qualifications, and interest to our Director of Operations & HR, Lizzy DuGuay at [email protected]
- Clearly refer to the position title in the subject line of the email.
- Attach to the e-mail a single PDF document that contains your cover letter and resume and ensure your name is included in the file name.
- Successful candidates will be contacted by email. While we thank everyone for their application, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- This position is aiming to be hired by the end of May so please apply asap.