The Distribution Team Member is an important part of Skipper Otto. The role works in close conjunction with the Distribution Manager and Member Services Manager and will be responsible for much of the logistics of distributing seafood during the busy May-Dec season. There are three key areas of this role: packing orders, customer service at member pick-ups, and driving company vehicles for seafood distribution. You may be more inclined or eligible to work in only one or two of these capacities rather than all three. We still encourage you to apply if that’s the case, and please indicate your preference and ability in your application.
The Distribution Team Member will:
- Participate in packing activities for orders at False Creek Fishermen’s Wharf.
- Track, maintain, and enter accurate records for inventory
- Be responsible for moving large (and small) quantities of seafood in fish totes and on pallets using fork lifts, pallet jacks, and other equipment as trained by the management team.
- Distribute seafood at member pick-ups at Fishermen’s Wharf
- Communicate the full boat-to-fork story of the seafood in a friendly, approachable manner.
- Help with set-up and tear-down/clean-up of tables, signs, products, totes, etc. before and after pick-ups
- Be responsible for moving large (and small) quantities of seafood in fish totes and on pallets using company vehicles, fork lifts, pallet jacks, and other equipment as trained by the management team.
- Be a responsible driver and interact with other drivers, suppliers and partners in a friendly and courteous manner.
- Ensure inventory is kept at appropriate temperatures at all stages of distribution.
- Maintain clear communication with the management team about all aspects of the role from daily packing, to driving, to pick-ups
- Represent the company in a responsible and friendly way in all interactions with members, suppliers and community partners.
- Physically capable of lifting and moving 30lb boxes
- Able to stand while working during your shifts
- Familiarity with and interest in sustainable food systems, and/or fishing
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Self-motivated; able to see opportunities and act on them independently
- Enthusiastic, fun, positive, and personable
- Creative, flexible, and reliable
- Team player
Preferred for Driver roles
- Current BC drivers’ licence with a clean driver’s abstract and preferably with experience with driving trucks and vans
- Forklift driving experience
The position offers a starting wage of $21 per hour.
- Positions needed started in springtime, but shifts and hiring can occur year-round. Busy season runs from mid-May to the end of November.
- Part-time work can be as little as 6-12 hours per month, or as much as 24-30 hours per week depending on interest and availability of work.
- The position will be one of a team of employees. Hours will vary but will involve a combination of shifts. Regular hours are generally: Mon-Fri from 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm, and/or Thu 2-7:30pm
- The position works at False Creek Fishermen’s Wharf at 1505 West 1st Ave, Vancouver
How to Apply
- Please express your interest in the role by e-mail to [email protected] and let us know why you would be a fit. You may apply by sending a cover letter and resume, a video, an email with info or whatever you consider helpful for us to get to know you.
- Cleary refer to the position title in the subject line of the email.
- Please indicate your level of experience and/or interest relative to the three core job functions: packing orders, customer service, and driving.
- Successful candidates will be contacted by email. While we thank everyone for their application, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.