Skipper Otto’s CSF is a triple bottom-line business which means the benefits are in many different areas:
- CSF programs began as a method to help marine ecosystems recover from the effects of overfishing while supporting fishing communities
- Fishermen are able to alter their target species based on what is abundant, not what is in high demand by the larger supply chain.
- Exploited species are given a break
- Provides a framework through which fishermen and consumers can creatively steward marine resources
- Because we cut out the middleman we can afford to pay fishermen a higher price per lb so they don’t need to resort to higher-impact, less sustainable fishing practices to stay in business
- Ensures independent, small-scale, low-impact fishermen receive a fair price for their catch and are able to remain in an industry dominated by big business and aquaculture
- Ensures that members pay a fair, stable price for their seafood and understand exactly where their dollars are going
- Engages fishermen and community members in a more robust local food system
- Establishes a transparent chain-of-custody from boat to fork
- Increases access to premium, local, sustainably harvested seafood.
- Educates consumers about local fisheries practices and concerns directly from the fishermen and fishermen gain knowledge about what their consumers value.